CPTN is proud of its comprehensive certification programs. Working with a dedicated group of professionals from across Canada, the mission statement of the program reflects the goals of the CPTN Certification Committee: To develop a comprehensive national and international certification which sets standards of excellence to ensure safe and effective training sessions and to reflect the needs and changes within the fitness and lifestyle industry.
- CPTN Certified Older Adult Training Specialist (CPTN-COATS)
- CPTN Certified Personal Trainer (CPTN-CPT)
- CPTN Certified Post-Rehabilitation Conditioning Specialist (CPTN-CPRCS)
- CPTN Certified Yoga Specialist (CPTN-CYS)
- CPTN Certified Group Fitness Leader (CPTN-CGFL)
Benefits of Becoming CPTN Certified Include:
- Being eligible for Sport Insurance from other bodies
- National recognition of commitment to the highest standards of excellence
- Having the option to be listed on CPTN’s website as a Personal Trainer referral
- Being able to earn CECs with professional Distance Education courses and workshops
- Being eligible to join CPTN’s leadership team of Practical Assessors, Course Conductors and Mentors
- Being able to start own business as a Personal Trainer
CPTN-CPT Transfer From Another Organization:
- CPTN-CPT Transfer Application Form (PDF, 90KB)
Certification Renewal for CPTN Trainers
To maintain your CPTN certification status, you are required to renew each year or every 2 years. You require 7 CECs to renew for one year or 14 CECs to renew for two years and updated First Aid and CPR Level C certifications. CECs which are not CPTN approved must be Petitioned for screening to earn a maximum of 7 CECs. One hour of continuing education equals 1 CPTN CEC up to a maximum of 14 CECs. CECs will not be carried over to the next recertification period.
- Certification Renewal Online Form
- Certification Renewal Form (PDF, 41KB)
- First Aid and CPR/AED Level C
Note: CPTN requires updated First Aid and CPR to become certified and re-certified even if training demographic is considered risk free. CPTN will honour the recommended renewal period or expiration date listed on cards provided. If a recommended renewal or expiration date is not present, then CPTN will honour the card for one year from the date of completion. An active certification with First Aid and CPR Level C is a required for insurance coverage with other providers.
Certification Renewal for CPTN Trainers (6 Months Overdue)
If your CPTN certification status is overdue for more than 6 months, you will be required to rewrite the CPTN-CPT theory exam and complete the practical examination.
- Continuing Distance Education Courses
- Continuing Education Credit Workshops
- Upcoming CPTN Conferences
CPTN Award of Merit
The CPTN Award of Merit was developed to recognize the excellent contributions of CPTN Certified Personal Trainers (CPTN-CPT) in the areas of: advance certification, professional development of trainers, community involvement, athletic accomplishments and media recognition. Recognized trainers are awarded the designation: CPTN-CPT.M. Submissions can be made throughout the year and the new designations will be announced at the annual CPTN Conference.