CPTN Certified Personal Trainer
This topic area will focus on physiology and biochemistry as they relate to performing different types of exercises and the body's adaptation to exercise.
Areas to be covered:
- Fuel utilization
- Max. VO2 consumption
- Blood pressure
- Anaerobic threshold
- Heart rate in relation to exercise
- Basal metabolic rate
- Muscle physiology
- To understand the role of ATP, glucose, fat and protein for energy production
- To understand the formula for oxygen consumption and its relationship to heart rate
- To understand the acute and chronic changes to heart rate with exercise
- To understand the role of actin andmyosin
- McArdle, W. D., Katch, F. I. & Katch, V.L. (2014). Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition and Human Performance. Wolters Kluwer.
- Wilmore, J. & Costill, D. L. (2007). Physiology of Sports and Exercise (3rd Edition). Human Kinetics.
- Sharkey, B. (2013). Fitness and Health (7th Edition). Human Kinetics.