Post-Rehabilitation: Lower Body
This 2 day theoretical/practical workshop will provide personal trainers with an extensive and in-depth approach to assessing, managing and assisting their client in their return to athletics and activities of daily living. It was designed to complement your skills with other sports medicine specialists in providing your client with the tools to optimize their recovery from the most common conditions that we see in these areas.
You will learn:
- Overview of functional anatomy and landmarks with practical hands on palpation techniques.
- Acquire an understanding of the mechanism of injury, assessment techniques, strength training exercise prescription and return to play and sport criteria for your clients.
- Gain a better understanding of normal and abnormal function of the joints that we cover in the workshop.
- Understand the implication of postural dysfunctions and how they are detrimental to the functioning of normal joint mechanics. With these dysfunctions, we will then look at corrective exercises that can be applied to restore normal mechanics.
- The utilization of facilitated stretching techniques to aid in restoring normal joint range of motion.
- Explore different techniques and approaches to implementing a home program that benefits the client and encourages client/trainer interaction and retention success.
- Understanding what are the optimal strength training techniques that can be utilized by the client and trainer based on what tools you have access to within your scope of practice.
- Develop an excellent understanding of footwear, shoe mechanics and orthotic intervention for optimizing the kinetic chain in the lower extremity.
- The five main areas that we explore in this workshop are the lumbar spine, pelvis, hip, knee and ankle.
- Some of the conditions that are discussed and covered in detail are the following:
- Lumbar Lordosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Disc
- Facet Joint Impingement
- Pelvic Wheel Dysfunction
- SI Joint Dysfunction
- Gluteus Medius Dysfunction
- Groin Strains
- ITB Syndrome
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Meniscal Tears
- ACL tears and joint reconstruction
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Shin Splints
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Medial Longitudinal Arch Syndrome
- Functional Anatomy workshop or strong understanding of Anatomy, Muscle actions and joint movements.
- McAtee, R. E. (2007). Facilitated Stretching (3rd Edition). Human Kinetics.
- Brody, L.T. & Hall M. C. (2010). Therapeutic Exercise: Moving Toward Function (3rd Edition). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Andersen, K. M. & Parr, P. G. (2011). Fundamentals of Sports Injury Management (3rd Edition). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Notebooks, pen, pencil, paper, etc…
- View the Workshop Schedule for available workshops.